A sponsor licence is granted for a period of four years, after which it will expire unless the sponsor renews it before the expiry date. An application to renew a sponsor licence should be made in good time as UKVI will not be able to stop the licence from expiring should any unforeseen complications arise.
An application to renew a sponsor licence should be made online using the Sponsor Management System (‘SMS’) and can be made up to 90 days before the expiry date of the sponsor licence.
A fee is payable when renewing a sponsor licence, however the amount payable will vary depending on the size of the company.
Once a sponsor has successfully submitted an application for renewal, UKVI may request some supporting documentation or make a Compliance Visit before making their decision.
If a sponsor fails to meet the UKVI requirements, UKVI may:
• Reduce or remove the sponsor’s Certificates of Sponsorship (‘CoS’) allocation;
• Downgrade the sponsor licence;
• Suspend the sponsor licence; or
• Revoke the sponsor licence.
Sponsor Guidance and Duties: The duties of a sponsor include:
• monitoring a sponsored worker’s attendance/absences;
• reporting any changes to the sponsored worker’s employment;
• carrying out right to work checks;
• retaining documents as set out in Appendix D of the Sponsor Guidance;
• complying with the law; and
• cooperating with the Home Office.
If UKVI have any concerns that a sponsor is not capable of or is not complying with its duties, it may visit the sponsor at any time in order to carry out a compliance visit.
During a compliance visit, UKVI will review all the HR systems and processes and how the prevention of illegal working is managed and they will interview any sponsored workers that you have.
Our mission is to provide our clients with unbiased, accurate and complete immigration advice, which is relevant to their needs.
We recognise that the process of applying for any kind of visa or the maintenance of a Sponsor Licence, can be a stressful time for those involved and so we always treat all our clients as valued customers who have chosen us to look after their immigration future - we will not take that responsibility lightly and we will do our best to deliver the result they are hoping for.